It's probably a safe bet that you're reading this Miracle Grill Mat review because you love grilling out and you're looking for a way to stop those veggies falling through the grate.
Or maybe you're reading this Miracle Grill Mat review because you love the taste of grilled fish. But you hate that it sticks to the grate and falls apart when you try to flip it over.
Those are the reasons I would have read this Miracle Grill Mat review. Well, those and picnics.
When you love picnics as much as I do, you like to get an early start. And while others are busy unloading everything, I’m at the grill fixing breakfast.
Because you can’t cook bacon and eggs directly on a grill, I’d have to pack up all kinds of pans. And then those pans would require a lot of scrubbing to remove the scorch marks.
But a few years ago I saw a Miracle Grill Mat infomercial. Now, I won’t say that infomercial changed my life, but it did make grilling picnic breakfasts a whole lot easier.
Pack a stack of grill mats and leave the pans at home. Once the charcoal is ready, put the mats on the grill and get cooking. Plus there's no need to clean that grody grill.
By the time everything is unloaded, and the volleyball net is up, breakfast is ready. Pancakes, french toast, eggs (over easy and scrambled), and bacon. Can there be a better aroma than bacon cooking on the grill?
If you love grilling, you need the best grill mats.
What Are Grill Mats?
Grill mats are very thin, non-stick, reusable mats you can put on your grill to make grilling and clean-up a lot easier. Most of them are available in sizes 15.75 inches by 13 inches with a thickness from 0.01 millimeter to 0.03 millimeters.
You can use them on your outdoor grill or indoor grill, and they're especially handy for public barbecue grills — no more fears of what has been on that grill before you got to it.
These mats will keep vegetables from falling into the fire, keep your grill grates clean, eliminate flare-ups from dripping fat, and allow you to flip over the flakiest and most tender piece of fish.
They make most grill mats with a fiberglass fabric coated with polytetrafluoroethylene, also known as PTFE. If you know what PTFE is, I bow in awe and appreciation of your scientific knowledge. For the rest of us, it's the primary chemical in Teflon.
That coating of PTFE is what makes these grill mats non-stick and why we love them. Get your grill going, slap on one of these grill mats, and bring on the cut veggies or that tender piece of tilapia.
When using a grill mat, the heat of the grill's grate will penetrate the thin grill mat, putting those very desirable grill marks on your food. On your steaks, burgers, veggies, and even on over-easy eggs.
Yes, with these thin, flexible pieces of magic, you can even cook breakfast on the grill — french toast, eggs, hash browns, and more importantly, bacon. And with no more scorched pans.
Because the melting point of PTFE is 620.6 degrees Fahrenheit, it is ideal for cooking applications. That high melting point is why, with very few exceptions, most grill mats will tell you not to exceed temperatures of 500 degrees.
Are They Safe?
They are perfectly safe as long as you follow the directions and use them as intended.
PTFE begins to degrade at temperatures above 662 degrees. Then, it releases fine particles and gaseous compounds that can be harmful if inhaled. It's why most grill mats say their mats can withstand temperatures up to 500 degrees.
For reference, when you first dump a chimney full of hot charcoal into your grill, you could quickly get temperatures of 700 degrees.
But when you spread those coals out, temperatures at the grate will be 450 to 500 degrees. Most of the time, you would cook your steak at the highest temperature of around 500 degrees and chicken around 350 degrees.
You can use the "hand test" when you don't have a thermometer. Imagine a soda can sitting on the grate. Extend your palm over the coals at the height of that can, and count the seconds you can leave your hand over the coals.
At two to four seconds, the temperature of your grill is between 450 and 550 degrees. Five to seven seconds is a medium heat of 350 to 450 degrees. If it's 8 to 10 seconds, you have a low temperature of 250 to 350 degrees.
It's easier on gas grills as you have better control of the flame and the temperature — no need to hold your hand over hot grates.
Another health concern is two cancer-causing compounds that can form when you cook meat on the grill. They are heterocyclic amines (HCAs) and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs).
HCAs form when you expose animal protein to extreme heat, and PAHs form in smoke caused when fat drips onto the heat source. That smoke then deposits on the meat.
Here's How To Mitigate Any Concerns
The good news is you can minimize those concerns on all fronts.
First, use the mats only as they intended. And when fat accumulates on the grill mat, soak it up with tongs and paper towels, so it doesn't catch on fire.
When grilling on a grill mat, you eliminate the fat dripping on the heat source: no fat dripping, no PAHs. And since HCAs happen when you expose meat to intense heat, grill the meat over lower temperatures or for less time.
And there's even more good news. According to Karen Collins, nutrition advisor the AICR, acidic marinades, such as lemon juice, vinegar, wine (my fav), and herbs and spices can reduce the formation of HCAs by over 90 percent.
- Greenbush Herbal Extracts. Quality and Value since 1997. Amazon A to Z Guarantee
- Greenbush Rosemary Alcohol-Free Extract is just 100% pure Rosemary in a vegetable glycerin base. Medicinal strength. 1/2 ml = 500mg
- Rosemary supports memory, mental function and protects from the normal effects of aging
- Provides powerful antioxidant protection and protects cells from contaminants
- Helps reduce allergy symptoms and increases potency of vitamin E
Certain spices, such as thyme, garlic, and sage can reduce the HCAs by 60 percent. Rosemary is especially useful in reducing HCAs. A recent study showed that rosemary extract (for those who don't like the taste of fresh rosemary) might reduce HCAs by up to 90 percent.
If you marinate beef in red wine for six hours before grilling, you will decrease the number of carcinogens 40 percent more than beef that was not marinated. Add some garlic and rosemary to that wine, and you've got a steak that will not only be very tasty, but healthy as well.
Mix up some lemon juice, rosemary, garlic, and a little olive oil in a zip bag, throw in your favorite chicken pieces, squish it up and put it in the fridge for an hour or two. I'm drooling. What time is dinner?
Here's a hint though. When you take your meat out of the marinade, wipe it dry with paper towels. Otherwise, when you put the meat on the grill mat, it won't grill, it will braise.
Miracle Grill Mat Review
The Miracle Grill Mat is one of the first widely advertised, via infomercial, barbecue grill mats. Most people had never heard of a grill mat before this infomercial. And at that time (2013) you could only buy grill mats through their infomercials.
When you purchase the Original Miracle Grill Mat, you will get a set of two 15.75-inch by 13-inch non-stick, reusable, and easy-to-clean mats.
These PTFE coated fiberglass mats contain no PFOA and can withstand temperatures up to 500 degrees without burning. And these mats come with a five-year warranty, satisfaction guaranteed.
Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) acid, also known as C8, is another human-made chemical used in the process of making Teflon. While it is burned off during the process and not present in significant amounts in final products, it does bring health concerns.
PFOA can stay in the environment and the human body for long periods. There has been enough concern to phase out this chemical in the production of Teflon. Consequently, only a handful of companies still use these chemicals in manufacturing.
You can easily clean these mats with warm soapy water or put them on the top shelf of your dishwasher. They can be stored either rolled loosely or flat and can be cut to fit whatever size you may need.
Amazon customers rated this original grill mat 4.2 out of 5.0 stars. An extraordinary 71 percent of reviewers rated this product 5.0 out of 5.0 stars.
How We Reviewed This Miracle Grill Mat Review
This Miracle grill mat review is an independent, non-biased analysis of Miracle Grill Mats, along with five comparable grill mats available to today's consumer. In our review process, we compared product features as well as consumer comments and reviews.
We have no business or financial ties to any of the manufacturers we have mentioned.
The goal of this Miracle Grill Mat review is to provide you sufficient factual, unbiased information so that you can make a confident, informed, and easier decision when you purchase grill mats.
Miracle Grill Mat Review Looks At The Competition
Our Miracle Grill Mat review looks at five of the competitors.
Grillaholics Grill Mat
- THE #1 GRILL MAT FOR PRO GRILLERS! Did you know that our Grillaholics Set is the ONLY grill mat recommended by Rachael Ray and Chris Kimball for top resutls? It is the best value and quality in bbq grill accessories! Try yours RISK-FREE before we sell out! You may want to consider getting TWO - one for you and one for your best friend!
- SAY GOODBYE TO GRILLING MESSES... Now you never have to BBQ on a nasty, dirty grill grate again! Our heavy duty mat prevents your food from falling between the grates or sticking to your grill! Enjoy grilling like a pro with our reusable and dishwasher-safe grill mats that make cleanup a breeze!
- TESTED AS THE 100% PEFECT SIZE! Did you now that after running tons of tests, thicker mats does not mean better? We developed our grill mats to be thin enough to leave grill marks and robust flavor intact, yet thick enough to provide ultimate heat resistance and durability. With our Lifetime Guarantee, 2 mats is all you'll ever need. NEVER buy another grill mat again!
- THE ULTIMATE GIFT FOR GRILLAHOLICS- Are you looking for the perfect gift for that special man or woman in your life? Our Grillaholics Non-Stick Grill Mats make great gifts for Father's Day, Birthdays, Christmas, Mother's Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, and Memorial Day! Become the Grill Master Pro you've always wanted to become!
- SAFE FOR ALL OF YOUR GRILLING NEEDS! Our cooking mat works with any kind of barbecue grill- Weber, Charbroil, Big Green Egg, smoker, propane, gas, electric, or oven. These premium grill toppers are made from premium heat resistant PTFE-Fiberglass coating and contain no PFOA, silicone, or other harmful chemicals. Plus, our grilling mats can withstand temperatures up to 500° Fahrenheit and will not burn. Keep your family safe with a brand you can trust.
Grillaholics' Grill Mat includes a set of two 15.75-inch by 13-inch non-stick, reusable, and easy-to-clean barbecue mats. These mats come with a lifetime guarantee.
These mats, made with PTFE-Fiberglass coating, contain no PFOA, silicone, or other harmful chemicals. And they can withstand temperatures up to 500 degrees without burning.
Amazon customers rated these grill mats 4.5 out of 5.0 stars. An impressive 79 percent of reviewers rated this product 5.0 out of 5.0 stars.
Aoocan Grill Mat
- A FAVORITE OF BARBECUE LOVERS.Our grill mats can keeps your food from falling between the grates or sticking to the grill!,and oil drips onto the wood carbon to create smoke.Our grill mat is very smooth and will not stick to food easily,It makes you look like a pro ,enjoy a better barbecue.
- EASY TO CLEAN & HIGH TEMPERATURE RESISANT.Our grill mat is very easy to clean. When you finish the barbecue, you just need to wash it with clean water and dry it in the sun. Then you don't need to worry about dirty barbecue grill.They can withstand temperatures up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit and will not burn. Keep your family safe with a brand you can trust.
- SECURITY ASSURANCES.It has passed FDA and LFGB food-grade certification, which is harmless to food and makes your diet healthier.Thicker grill mats dose not mean better. We have tested it numerous times to get the best thickness we can get at the moment, and to ensure enough heat resistance so that the food you grill will still tastes better.
- MULTIPURPOSE--While you're baking or microwaving your food, you can also use our grill mat instead of a plate to keep food from falling off and contaminating your device. It can be reused and has a long service life of at least 100 times. No need to others barbecue MATS.
- BEST OF ALL - Best value in bbq grill accessories! If you're not completely satisfied, we'll make it right or your money back. Why wait? Try yours RISK FREE! Warning: do not let grease accumulate due to risk of grease fire. If you have any question about it, just tell us and we will provide you a satisfied solution.
The Aoocan Grill Mat comes with a set of five heavy-duty 15.75-inch by 13-inch barbecue mats that are reusable, non-stick, and easy to clean.
These PTFE coated fiberglass fabric mats have passed FDA and LFGB food-grade certifications. And they will not burn in temperatures up to 500 degrees.
Amazon customers rated these grill mats 4.2 out of 5.0 stars. A noteworthy 70 percent of reviewers rated this product 5.0 out of 5.0 stars.
RENOOK BBQ Grill Mats
- 1.NO BETTER CHOICE - Thicker does not mean better. Our grill mat is thin enough to leave grill marks and flavor intact,and thick enough to provide ultimate heat resistance and durability.6 pack of grill mats can meet the needs of the dinner from time to time; when they are spare, you can cut them to any size or shape to fit any need. Also doubles as a bake mat
- 2.100% NON-STICK - 100% Non-Stick means you can grill without grease and mats are reusable for years! Non-stick BBQ grill mat prevent even the smallest morsels from falling through the grates. Keep your grill looking brand-new and no more clean-up of your dirty grill
- 3.FDA-APPROVED MATERIALS - Our BBQ grill mats are made from 100% PFOA-Free materials and premium PTFE-Fiberglass coating, no PFOA, silicone or other dangerous chemicals! When the use time exceeds 30 minutes, the maximum temperature cannot exceed 260 F; when used for a short time, the maximum temperature cannot exceed 400 F.Certified as safe by the FDA approved and lifetime
- 4.REUSABLE AND DISHWASHER SAFE - Versatile and highly economical, they can be cut to perfectly fit your pans. Both sides can be used over 100 times, for grilling, roasting, and even baking! They are super-easy to clean; just pop them in the top shelf of your dishwasher and forget about laborious scrubbing.
- 5.100% REFUND - Unhappy with your new grill mats? No problem! Your purchase is covered and an extended - simply contact us for a refund or replacement
RENOOK's BBQ Grill Mats comes in a set of six 15.75-inch by 13-inch heavy-duty, non-stick, reusable, and easy-to-clean mats.
These FDA approved PTFE fiberglass-coated mats have no PFOA, silicone, or other dangerous chemicals.
With these grill mats, the maximum temperature for grilling times exceeding 30 minutes is 260 degrees. The maximum temperature for grilling times under 30 minutes is 400 degrees.
Amazon customers rated these grill mats 4.3 out of 5.0 stars. A remarkable 77 percent of reviewers rated this product 5.0 out of 5.0 stars.
Kona Best BBQ Grill Mats
- NEW WINTER SALE! Stock up now and save a bundle with our Kona grill and baking mat sale. These grill accessories are unique bbq gifts men & barbecue lovers truly enjoy. Also Try The Kona XL Grill Mat, Covers An Entire 4 Burner Grill.
- FAR MORE SUPERIOR than other grill mats. The one and only 600 DEGREE Peak Temperature PFOA free BBQ grill and smoke mat.
- KONA IS THE THICKEST at 0.39mm. That is 4X Thicker Than Yoshi grill mat and 2X Thicker Than Miracle grill mat. Kona non stick grill mats can be used over 1,000 uses per side, that's 50 times more uses than ordinary grilling mats, and why they are used by top amateur grillmasters and professional chefs worldwide.
- CLEANLY & EASILY GRILL the juiciest steaks, smoke the tenderest chicken and sautee the thinnest cut vegetables with ease. Forget grill baskets and other accessories! These mats also keep your Weber, Traeger, Char Broil, Kamado, steak grilling pan, etc. looking shiny new.
- BEST OF ALL you automatically get our "No Hassle" 7 year Kona grilling accessories guarantee, which even covers accidental overheating. Scroll down to "Special Offers And Promotions" to save even more money on todays purchase. Then, click "Add to Cart" now!
Kona's Best BBQ Grill Mats includes a set of two 16-inch x 13-inch heavy-duty, non-stick mats. Kona claims their 0.39 millimeter thick mats are two to four times thicker than their competitor's mats.
Their PTFE fiberglass-coated mats are PFOA free, and they claim they are the "one and only 600-degree Fahrenheit peak" mat. Plus, these mats have a seven-year guarantee.
Amazon customers rated these grill mats 4.4 out of 5.0 stars. An enthusiastic 76 percent of reviewers rated this product 5.0 out of 5.0 stars.
YRYM HT Copper Grill Mat
- FDA-APPROVED Barbecue Grill Mat - 5 Pack Ptfe papers are made from 100% PFOA-Free materials and premium PTFE-Fiberglass coating, no PFOA or other dangerous chemicals! Certified as safe by the FDA approved! makes your meal healthier when cooking on your BBQ grill with our professional grade!
- 100% NON-STICK TEMPERATURE RESISTANT & WATER REPELLENT MATS -These mats are heat resistant up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit and 100% non-stick, meaning you can grilll and cook without worrying about grease and stains. The BBQ mat also keeps small food from falling through the grates and keeps your grill sparkling clean! these barbecue cooking mats which are made of heat-resistant technologically advanced materials that look similar to a plastic mat, however, it will not burn.
- REUSABLE & DURABLE EASY TO CLEAN AND TRIM FOR CONVENIENT USE -BBQ grill mat can be utilized many times both sides and cut to fit perfectly into your grill, oven, stove, pans, cake tin, etc.
- MULTI-PURPOSE PTFE (TEFLON) SHEET - Teflon sheets can serving as barbecue grill mat, nonstick oven liners ,baking mat, cooking mat, Perfect for any grill including as Char-Broil, Weber, Porcelain, Charcoal and even Infrared Grills. They can also be cut to fit your particular grill or oven perfectly. Grill meat, vegetables, fish, shrimp, pizza, even pancakes, bacon and eggs!! Perfect for those nasty campground or park grills!
- QUALITY GREAT! - That our mats are made from the best quality materials. Warning: do not let grease accumulate due to risk of grease fire. If you have any question about it, just tell us and we will provide you a satisfied solution.
YRYM HT's Copper Grill Mat comes in a set of five non-stick, reusable, and easy-to-clean 15.75-inch by 13-inch mats. And two silicon brushes are also included.
These FDA-approved, PTFE fiberglass-coated mats are PFOA free and can withstand temperatures up to 500 degrees without burning.
Amazon customers rated these grill mats 4.4 out of 5.0 stars. A creditable 73 percent of reviewers rated this product 5.0 out of 5.0 stars.
Dinners Ready, Close The Cover
Go ahead, be the early one at the picnic site making breakfast. Thanks to this Miracle Grill Mat review, you know you can make that breakfast on the grill without pots and pans. And equally beneficial, with grill mats, you won't have to scrub the grody grill.
But we can't guarantee you won't make some new friends once the bacon scent wafts through the park.
Some things to remember about using a grill mat:
Keep the mat over 7 inches above the fire and don't let fat accumulate on the mat. And unless you want to braise your meat of choice, make sure to pat it dry with paper towels before you put it on the grill mat.
Your mat will last a lot longer if you do not use metal utensils to turn over or move food on the mat.
Warm soapy water and a soft cloth or sponge should clean any residue on your grill mat. Check the manufacturer's directions to see if you can wash your mats in the dishwasher.
This Miracle Grill Mat review let you know you can grill fish to perfection and not lose grilled veggies through the grates. And yes, you can even cook bacon on the grill. So what's grilling tonight?
Let us know in the comments below which grill mat you use and how it's been working for you.